SAP Education - the training arm of SAP - offers certification exams in many countries. They can be taken by SAP customers, Partners, Independent consultants and Beginners, who have no SAP knowledge.
A few years ago there was only one level of certification, now known as Associate level. Now, SAP certification has 3-tier structure – Associate, Professional and Master. Associate and Professional levels are available. Master certification level is still under development.
Let us see what SAP website says about Associate and Professional levels :
- Associate certification – This certification covers the fundamental knowledge requirements for a consultant, or project team member ensuring the successful acquisition of broad SAP solution knowledge and skills.
- Professional certification – This advanced certification requires proven project experience, business process knowledge, and a more detailed understanding of SAP solutions.
Beginners can only go for Associate certification and must undergo the respective training course offered by SAP through SAP or any of their education partner.
The next big question is – choice of the SAP area. Broadly speaking, there are the following Certification focus areas :
- Application Certification : available for specific SAP solutions like Materials Management, Human Resources, etc.
- Technology Certification : for SAP technologies like System Administration, SAP Security, Enterprise Architecture and Enterprise SOA.
- Development Certification : for individuals responsible for developing applications for SAP solutions using SAP ABAP or Java.
There are two approaches to SAP certification :
- One approach is by enrolling and undergoing SAP Education provided training course for the certification in question,
- Second approach requires relevant SAP experience. If you have, you can contact SAP Education for the formalities. It will require submission of a few documents and approval before you can enroll for the exam.
Beginners who want to break into SAP careers have no choice but to follow the first approach. Choose your area carefully so that it is relevant for your previous experience. For example, if you are presently working in production planning & control, the natural choice for you is SAP PP (Production Planning) module. On the other hand, if you are into programming, SAP ABAP or Java in the SAP Netweaver environment can make a good choice. That way your SAP career will be an extension of your previous skills and will always have the advantage of applying your domain knowledge.
For experienced SAP professionals, SAP recommends the relevant training course before going for certification though it is not mandatory. Also it is not mandatory to clear first level of certification before going for the next level. That means, if you think you have sufficient experience and should go for Professional level, you need not be certified for Associate level. You can directly go for Professional level.
For your queries about SAP certification and exam, visit the FAQ section of SAP Education.
University Alliances Program
SAP has a University Alliances Program(UAP). Universities belonging to this program can offer BPERP (Integrated Business Processes in SAP ERP) course (SAP Code TERP10). It's a 10 day training course.
After completion of this course, students can go for its certification exam. It's not the same certification we have been talking about. It gives an overall picture of SAP ERP to the students and the companies recruiting them on campus may like to recruit fresh graduates / post-graduates with SAP knowledge.